Backyard Deer Deterrents: the dirt on keeping deer out of your garden without breaking the bank.
Search

Backyard deer home

Homemade deer deterrent
Other deer deterrents
Deer biology and behavior
Deer blog
About Us

Search

Other innovations:

Powered by
Branchable.

Backyard Deer Deterrent Comments

View the most recent comments below. To join in the discussion (or see a comment thread in order), click on the title of a comment, then follow the directions on the subsequent page to add a comment of your own.

Comment by 1 early Friday morning, October 10th, 2014
Comment by 1 early Friday morning, October 10th, 2014
Comment by 1 early Friday morning, October 10th, 2014
thx so much
Comment by shane in the wee hours of Sunday night, September 2nd, 2013
Fred --- That's a good question which I don't really have an answer to. Our dog chases away all garden eaters except birds and deer, so we haven't had the opportunity to test it. I'd guess maybe yes for rabbits, and probably no for the others, but that's completely unsuported by data.
Comment by anna late Monday evening, August 5th, 2013
Has anyone noticed if the deer deterrents also work on other garden-eating critters, such as squirrels, rabbits, birds, groundhogs, etc?
Comment by Fred late Monday afternoon, August 5th, 2013
D.man --- I did something a bit like that one year. I made a huge spiderweb out of string surrounding my garden up to eight feet tall. (I wish I'd taken a photo --- it was quite an installation!) Unfortunately, deer are very adept at wriggling under things, so they got in easily.
Comment by anna Monday afternoon, July 1st, 2013
I used a red masons line (string) that has about 100 pound tention strength. I pulled it tightly between trees. Then I hung flagging ribbon from the string at random lengths and random locations along the string. Often, I ran multiple lines parallel. The red line and red flagging is visual in hopes to confuse and deter the deer. Breezes keep the flagging moving. I have only used it for a couple days and so far, its good. Anyone else used something similar?
Comment by D. man in the wee hours of Saturday night, June 30th, 2013
Jo --- Thanks for checking in! Jayne got busy, unfortunately, and this project came to a standstill. But hopefully we'll get something going eventually!
Comment by anna Wednesday afternoon, April 10th, 2013
you gwuys are craycray, deers (expecially newborn deer) are the cutest thing ever! some of you have a good opinion cause deer are so adorable and everyone knows it. They are not a predator. They do not eat other animals! they eat fruits, crops, grass, and nuts. Deer are usually around 62-87 in. long and stay with their mother for about 2 years after theie born, then they go on their own and hunt for food. Deer or does or usually born in the may or in june. The weight of a deer usually depends on its species and sex. A male can be 100-150 and male can go up to 200pounds. A doe or baby deer can be about 20-30pounds!!! so cute!!! thats all i know so far so good luck people with projects!!! xoxo kay
Comment by kay at lunch time on Monday, April 8th, 2013
So, it's now spring, 2013. Have you found the solar power design to run the deer deterrant? My yard and garden are too large to string extension cords. How about a battery operated driver? Put me on your email list and keep me updated, please! Thanks ever so much. I like your ideas and the clear way you explain each step. Most of all, I like the subtle humor of your writing style. Jo
Comment by Jo late Thursday afternoon, April 4th, 2013

Funny... 2.5 million years of evolution to produce an animal capable of trackin and obsevig the stars and there are still fools who disrespect the path that got us here. Animals are food. You are a hunter gatherer. try to ignore it but 99.8% of human existence has been as a hunter. Or maye its just that deer lack the sterile foam and pastic wrap that som of you must have to be able to consume meat.

Comment by ks early Wednesday morning, October 3rd, 2012
Please keep us posted as to your experiments. My blood pressure is rising because of these deer!!
Comment by Kay Saturday evening, August 11th, 2012
i love deer, their beautiful! xox
Comment by izzi Wednesday evening, July 4th, 2012
Looking forward to this information. Deer love our plants to much
Comment by Carol at lunch time on Tuesday, July 3rd, 2012

Thanks Anna - glad you are happy with the progress - soon we will give a link to the YouTube video of it in action! Jayne

Comment by jayne late Wednesday morning, May 9th, 2012
I'm excited to see the product design phase moving along so quickly!
Comment by anna at midnight, May 9th, 2012
Yes, I am really excited also!
Comment by jayne at lunch time on Saturday, April 21st, 2012
I'm looking forward to the interview! And maybe a photo of the farmer? I always want to photo locals who tell me interesting things we share on the blog, but they often look at me funny.... :-)
Comment by anna at midnight, April 21st, 2012
My very first time to "catch" deer at play..it was such a "wow" moment when I spied them and even more so when I captured the photo!!! Thanks for the shout out!
Comment by Nancy in the wee hours of Saturday night, April 15th, 2012
Agreed they are getting rather large!
Comment by jayne Saturday evening, April 14th, 2012
Great shot of the deer on its hind legs!
Comment by anna late Saturday afternoon, April 14th, 2012
Perhaps we can plant those marigolds "sooner than later"!!!
Comment by Nancy late Friday morning, April 13th, 2012
Yes, and it is off to a good start so far! Thanks!
Comment by jayne Thursday night, April 12th, 2012
I love seeing a shot of your garden in the post! I'm looking forward to watching it grow, deer-free.
Comment by anna Thursday night, April 12th, 2012
Glad you are looking forward to it . . .just a few final tweaks and we will post!
Comment by jayne at midnight, April 11th, 2012
Just curious, do you folks have your garden enclosed by a fence or is the deer deterrent enough to keep the deer out? Fantastic idea! Talking to my husband now about doing this:)
Comment by nancy in the wee hours of Sunday night, April 9th, 2012
Can't wait to see your newest invention, sounds fantastic!
Comment by nancy in the wee hours of Sunday night, April 9th, 2012
Thanks for catching this too. Should be all fixed (I hope...)
Comment by anna late Monday evening, March 12th, 2012
Becca --- Thanks for noticing that! I think I've fixed it, but feel free to comment if it's still broken for you....
Comment by anna late Monday evening, March 12th, 2012
can't access steps 5 and 6.
Comment by Becca in the wee hours of Monday night, March 6th, 2012
This page "Step 2" is having formating difficulties in explorer. Not a prolem as far as access to info, but the look is a little jarring. fix or don't, it's up to you. Just thought you might want to know.
Comment by Becca in the wee hours of Monday night, March 6th, 2012
i got so much info
Comment by jakiiah at teatime on Friday, December 2nd, 2011
Mark traded for a muzzleloader a week or two ago. Looks like we need to go learn to use it now!
Comment by anna late Sunday evening, November 27th, 2011
you can pick up a CVA Bobcat .50 cal muzzleloader for $50-85 most places. I want to say mine was around $75 new, and my dad got one at a gun shop for $50 cause the stock was a little dinged up. about $30-50 should buy you enough balls, caps, and powder to shoot for a long time. and remember, you can hunt with it during regular gun season as well in most places. :D
Comment by Jason late Saturday night, November 27th, 2011
Another nice feature I didn't mention about this solution is the fact that it's battery powered, which might function as a good back up to a mechanical deer deterrent system like the ones I blog about here that require 110 volts of electricity.
Comment by mark at teatime on Wednesday, November 16th, 2011
ya
Comment by Anonymous Saturday afternoon, September 3rd, 2011

Re: F*** you (above)

I love deer, too!

Especially the young, tender ones!

Tasty!

To the author of the comment F*** you: you are an imbecile. Deer are the biggest (sized) pest known to man. I shoot them for fun. One can only take so much - they're cute until they make your kid cry, then it's time to "adjust" the deer population. So sorry. You are welcome to come and get as many on the tick-infested vermin as you want. Dead or alive. Let me know, K?

Comment by TomAss Friday night, August 26th, 2011
Oh, maybe that's why it works! :-)
Comment by anna Friday night, August 19th, 2011
You're not raising special Attack Chickens, who instinctively hunt deer, like their dinosaur ancestors? :^)
Comment by irilyth [livejournal.com] late Wednesday evening, August 17th, 2011
i did not know that much about deer.there cool.
Comment by deeya at teatime on Wednesday, August 10th, 2011
Interesting idea --- I assume you mean splice the rope back onto itself to make a loop without any kind of attachment? I don't know enough about rope to know if that can be done, but it does sound elegant.
Comment by anna Saturday night, July 30th, 2011
I remember at some point (in my childhood) reading a bunch of detailed instructions about how to splice rope. I have never actually personally done this, of course. :^) Would it work with this nylon rope, or not really?
Comment by irilyth [dreamwidth.org] at lunch time on Friday, July 29th, 2011
I think that what I like the most about this most recent incarnation of the deer deterrent is the way you've got the tin bent so that you get such a complex range of sounds with each rotation of the motor. That's probably why a mere three deterrents have been keeping our whole sprawling garden safe this summer (until the outage, that is.)
Comment by anna late Thursday evening, July 14th, 2011